Sunday 1 May 2011

Quote

“Give me but one firm spot on which to stand, and I will move the earth.” - Archimedes

I stumbled across this quote from a lady that runs a wonderful little coffee shop near to Ripon, where I've been living for my final teaching placement. I looked it up, and traced it's author. I love these little Greek nuggets. Don't get me wrong, they were incredibly elitist but once they were at the top of their game they knew their stuff. They were wonderful teachers as well. Some of the great scholars would have open air schools of philosophy. Their students would continue the school, pass on their teachings or even write it down. We have his students to thank for all we know about Aristotle. The man who wrote this was actually a Greek engineer, who invented leverage. I saw this quote and thought it was really quite profound, but then realised it's actually just very practical. Refreshingly simple, but because of that l think it has a lot to say!


No comments: